Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Science Project

Every Friday, Sean has a "10% Science Project" due. The kids have to come up with experiments (or reports) demonstrating the different standards of science (i.e. gravity, motion, chemical reaction, etc.). The kids can do anything they want: videos, posters, reports, models- it's all up to them. And you guessed it, it's worth 10% of their grade. For the most part, he's had fun doing these projects (except when it's 8:00 pm on Thursday night and he has no idea what to do). Thank God for the Internet (and Steve Spengler - Internet science dude).

This week he's demonstrating the chemical reaction vinegar has on an egg. The vinegar is supposed to "eat away" the hard shell so that all that's left is the thin membrane of the egg (kinda like a balloon). He plans on presenting the photos of the process and then bringing in the membrane to class. So, if I was asked to take photos of this experiment, I was going to use it on my blog (two birds with one stone).

Oh! I forgot. First, you have to "blow out" the inside of the egg.

This was harder than it seemed (and pretty gross).

The egg had to be submerged in the vinegar, but it kept floating. So, ingenious mother that I am...I let him use my French coffee press. Worked great. I'll let you know how it all turns out. It's supposed to take a few days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I did not know you had a coffee press. Good times in Ireland! Hope the project works out for Sean...yes you are an "ingenious" mother!! Wild E Coyote...super genious..LOL

Terri

Anonymous said...

Mike says, Nice smile from the mad scientist!!!

KMilty said...

Yes, I have a coffee press! And I bought it because it reminded me of Ireland ("that's a
F*^%ing fine woman" LOL!!!).

Now ask me how many times I've actually used it.

Milty said...

OK, how many times have you used it?

Milty said...

I think 12 times?